Wednesday, August 31, 2016

School Days and Better Days

The House Project

Pictures are the greatest because they capture moments and memories! We have made progress on the house even in the middle of transitioning to "School Days and School Nights." Each day I find something--some joy or some happy--about this house and this move. I hope those moments never go away. I'm sure they will, but my word for this year is JOY. And I am CHOOSING JOY.

 

This picture was last week before work. We have a front porch. And the night before I took this picture, we laid outside on our porch and listened to the crickets and the roads. No highway noise, no crazy music, no sirens every 10 minutes. It was peaceful and I loved it! The front porch had disappeared for a few weeks because of unloading things from storage and deep discounts on insulation for the attic. But it's back and I love it! Last night we sat on our front porch with our neighbors and just hung out. Peaceful friendships and life are happening on our front porch!

 

This picture is the very beginnings of our kitchen! We have a rug and a mostly functional kitchen. We are getting there. It's a process. 

 

This is the beginnings of our living room/soon-to-be office. I know it doesn't look like much but y'all, I can sit on our couch. Small victories!

Rain, Rainbows and Creatures

It rains a whole lot more here in Celeste than it did in Richardson. Like way more! Typically rain is good because it brings cooler temps (but more humidity). It also shows you where there might be ground drainage (flooding) problems. So with lots of rain comes the biggest rainbows I have seen in a long time!

 

 

And with rain and rainbows, also creatures. 

 

This guy was in my front yard once the rain waters receded. For you city folks like me, that's a giant craw daddy. There were (and still are) several holes in and around my front yard from these creatures. This one was out and about, so I caught him and gave him to the neighbor kid. 

School Days

School is great and my 5th graders are sweet. What I'm having to adjust to the most are ALL THE QUESTIONS. They ask questions about anything and everything, ALL THE TIME. I'm sure you parent-folks know what I'm about. I have been informed that I was THAT KID---sorry Mom and Dad and teachers. But it is exhausting! And I wasn't prepared for this because I'm not a mom yet so I think that's the biggest adjustment. 

Other than that, my students and I are having a blast learning together. These students of mine LOVE to learn! It is so refreshing to be able to teach and students to be actively involved. And 5th grade is a fun age because they are beginning to grow up a little bit but are still kind and sweet and helpful. I'm enjoying these days, even with all the questions. 

Plus, my school staff and principal are phenomenal and helpful and encouraging. It's been such a joy so far! My hope is to blog more about schools later this weekend when I get a few moments to do so. I'm loving it!

Here are some classroom pictures and beginning of school year stuff. If you want to see more of my classroom adventures, you can follow Mrs. Kipp on Twitter @Herndon_Kipp. I have to tweet at least one thing a day so you can join the classroom adventure with us!

 

Huge shout out to my mom for her help with the pictures below. 

 

 

 

Also, another huge shoutout to my sweet husband for helping hang things and organize my room before school started. These are the things Shae helped with...

 

 

 

Also, I had a kid give me an apple because teachers and apples always go together! Precious!!

 

Thanks y'all for the support and encouragement with our journey!


1 comment: